Grinding is a concept in video games that has been around since the earliest games. Whether you’re grinding XP to level up or grinding to get certain materials for crafting, there’s some sort of ground in every single video game. Although it can be tedious, some people do enjoy the process of grinding away to improve their characters. That’s why this article will discuss the best grinding games out there!
We’ve summarized the 22 best grinding games of all time for you down here:
|Game Developers Choice Award 2015 for Best Audience
|December 16, 2014
|Frontier Developments plc
|Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, and Mac operating systems
|Best Mobile Game
|September 28, 2020
|GeForce Now, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Android, iOS, and PC
|Best Independent Game
|February 26, 2016
|Nintendo Switch, Android, PlayStation 4, macOS, Xbox One, iOS, Xbox Cloud Gaming, PC, Linux, and PlayStation Vita
|Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
|PC Game of the Year
|November 11, 2011
|Bethesda Game Studios
|PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X and series S
|Ark Survival Evolved
|June 14, 2018
|Linux, PC, macOS, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, and Stadia
|No Man’s Sky
|August 9, 2016
|PlayStation 4, PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X and series S, PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch, macOS, and iPadOS
|Best eSports Game
|June 2, 2020
|Best Multiplayer Game
|September 13, 2019
|PlayStation 4, PC, Xbox One, macOS, Stadia, Xbox Series X and series S, and PlayStation 5
|Tom Clancy’s The Division
|Best Original Dramatic Score
|March 8, 2016
|PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, and Amazon Luna
|Role-Playing Game Award
|January 4, 2001
|PC, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS
|May 16, 2011
|PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation Vita, iOS, Android, Windows Phone, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X and series S, macOS, Linux, Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, Nintendo Switch, and Google Stadia
|Mortal Kombat 11
|Fighting Game Of The Year
|April 23, 2019
|PC, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Stadia, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X/S
|April 1, 2021
|People Can Fly
|PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X and series S, and Stadia
|Monster Hunter World
|August 9, 2018
|PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC
|Audio of the Year
|May 15, 2012
|Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, macOS, and PC
|June 2, 2022
|Android, iOS, and PC
|Path of Exile
|BAFTA Games Award for Evolving Game
|October 23, 2013
|Grinding Gear Games
|PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and macOS
|Best Multiplayer Game
|November 5, 2020
|Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch, PC, iOS, and Android
|Best Community Support
|October 1, 2019
|PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Google Stadia, and PC
|The Most Anticipated Game
|February 25, 2022
|PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X and Series S, Xbox One, and PC
|People’s Voice Award for “Action”
|March 25, 2013
|PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and PC
|World of Warcraft
|Best Computer Game of 2004
|November 23, 2004
|PC and macOS
|Best Downloadable Game
|November 18, 2011
|PC, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, iPadOS, Xbox 360, Raspberry Pi, Windows Phone, PlayStation 3, Fire OS, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation Vita, Wii U, Apple TV, tvOS, Nintendo Switch, and New Nintendo 3DS
- Platform: PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One
- Genre: Sci-fi Simulation
- Developer: Frontier Developments
The first game on the list, Elite Dangerous, takes you to the year 3300 when mankind has made it into space and has been spending hundreds of years unlocking the secrets of the universe. And now, as a young broke pilot, it’s your turn to do the same.
You can become part of three factions and take control of a starship as you explore the open world of the Milky Way. With 400-billion-star systems and realistic simulation mechanics, the game feels immersive as you undergo different gravitational pulls or day/night cycles.
The ships in Elite Dangerous can cost several hundred million credits. In fact, even your first ever ship will cost you 50K credits! You can partake in various activities and undergo combat to earn money to improve your equipment, allowing you to grind even more efficiently.
Besides just buying ships, you can improve your rankings, allowing you to take on higher-tier missions. And if you want to equip even better weapons, there are different categories, such as the engineering department, where you can get better gear by grinding their ranks!
- Elite Dangerous has a vast game world that is based on our own Milky Way galaxy.
- Elite Dangerous provides a realistic space flight simulator experience, as you can fly various ships, ranging from small fighters to large cargo ships, and explore a huge variety of star systems and planets.
- Learning to fly a spaceship in Elite Dangerous can be an incredibly fun process while being as realistic as possible.
- The sound design of Elite Dangerous is amazing and it does a great job of adding to the immersive experience.
- The missions in Elite Dangerous feel like the same thing, with little to no variety and doing the same tasks over and over, it can get incredibly tedious.
- Elite Dangerous, at its core, is a spaceship flight simulator, which might be a bit disappointing for some players wanting to do more with the game.
- There is no alien life on the planets of Dangerous Elite, which can be a big letdown for some players.
- Platforms: PC, PS4, PS5, Android, iOS
- Genre: Gacha-game, Action RPG
- Developers: miHoYo
Up next is a well-known free-to-play gacha game, Genshin Impact! It shouldn’t come as a surprise, as most free and best gacha games are revolved around grinding for hours to progress through the game (or spend real-life money if you want to skip the grinding).
Genshin Impact is an RPG where our protagonist travels through countless worlds with their twin before getting separated in the land of Teyvat. Now it’s up to you to look for the twin as you explore this unknown fantasy open world.
You’ll mostly be playing in a party of 4 interchangeable characters. You can use each of their unique skills in combat against the various enemies and bosses in Teyvat. There are also other challenges that all go towards increasing your Adventure Rank!
And that is where the grinding in Genshin Impact begins. If you want to increase your Adventure Rank, then you need to grind away all the events and challenges in the game. And to increase your rank, you’ll, of course, need better gear and characters.
Considering the game is available for mobile, too, we can definitely say that Genshin Impact is the best grinding game for Android and iOS!
- Because Genshin Impact is (F2P), many players can easily access it.
- The graphics have a very distinctive aesthetic and are breathtakingly beautiful.
- Even though the combat system is straightforward, it can still be a tonne of fun.
- Cross-platform play in Genshin Impact enables the player to play with their friends.
- Given that Genshin Impact is a gacha game, you can have to shell out a sizable sum of money to obtain your preferred character.
- The gacha rates can be quite harsh at times.
- There may not be many co-op options available when playing with friends.
- Platform: PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation Vita, iOS, Android.
- Genre: Simulation, RPG
- Developer: ConcernedApe
Stardew Valley gained a lot of popularity, especially considering it was an indie game. At its core, it’s a farming simulation game but one which you’ll never get bored of playing!
You follow a character that has to take care of their grandparent’s farm and make it flourish with the best crops, fruits, and farm animals. So, throughout the game, your main objective will be to plant crops and then use them to make money in Stardew Valley. And then, the profits are used to grow crops more efficiently.
Furthermore, the game is made such that the grinding isn’t pointless, and you can actually feel the progression. Starting from just a basic farm to building it up feels like a huge accomplishment. On top of that, the laid-back experience is just unbeatable, which makes “chores” feel fun.
And if you ever get bored of the typical grinding stuff, there is a lot of other content to fill in the gaps. You can take on enemies, engage with NPCs (even marry them), and explore dungeons! That is why Stardew Valley is the best grinding game on PS4, Xbox, and all other platforms!
- Stardew Valley offers a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere as an agricultural simulation.
- There are a variety of activities you can engage within Stardew Valley and all of these have their own distinct benefits.
- Pixel art lends Stardew Valley an old-fashioned feel and the numerous weather effects boost the game’s aesthetic appeal.
- The Dev team frequently updates Stardew Valley with new and new content, so there’s always something to be looking forward to.
- The game may become monotonous for certain players. There are many different activities that you can take part in, however, since the game consists of performing the same tasks every day, they may not suffice to keep you entertained for long.
- The winter months do not perform well in engaging you, in contrast to other seasons.
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Platforms: PC, PS3, PS4, PS5, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Nintendo Switch
- Genre: Action RPG
- Developers: Bethesda
Skyrim is one of those games where you might be grinding without even realizing that you’re doing it. It is one of the most popular RPGs and, since its release, has made it on almost every console out there due to the sheer amount of content and replayability that it provides!
With the various side quests and missions, you can easily spend over 150 hours in the game exploring the lands and helping out people. On top of that, there are dungeons that you can take on if you’re feeling brave.
The game offers a great leveling and skill system in which you can level up almost any skill. Want to be better at looting? You can improve your thief skill. Want better magic or combat? There are skills for those as well!
To level up, you’ll need XP, of course. But the quests and methods for gaining XP seem so much fun that in the middle of them, you’ll forget that you were even trying to grind to get more XP. In the process of gaining XP through bounty collecting, hunting dragons, or serving mystical gods, you end up creating an entirely new life for yourself in Skyrim.
- In Skyrim, there is a huge range of builds available.
- Making potions and weapons is not difficult, which makes it simple for new players to start playing Skyrim.
- One of the best open worlds for its time was found in Skyrim, and it still holds up today.
- Many bugs, particularly those involving saving, may pop up during your playthrough.
- Skyrim’s voice acting is appalling and extremely off-putting.
- There are several strange facial motions.
Ark Survival Evolved
- Platform: PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Android, iOS, Stadia.
- Genre: Survival, Action-adventure
- Developer: Studio Wildcard
We’ve talked about space, and we’ve talked about farming but let’s now go back in time and combine that with farming. We’re talking about exploring with literal dinosaurs in a game known as Ark Survival Evolved!
Survival games all tend to have to grind in them in one way or another, and Ark Survival Evolved is no different. You wake up on an island with absolutely nothing and must survive amongst dinosaurs as you gather resources to build yourself weapons and a base.
The game follows a linear level progression system where leveling up unlocks new items that you can use to survive. But of course, Ark Survival Evolved crafting requires you to grind to get the necessary materials and get the workbench actually to craft things.
However, if you get bored, there’s something else that you can do; tame dinosaurs and ride them around! These dinosaurs can help you get around quickly but can also make grinding more efficient as each different dinosaur is great at gathering certain materials.
Although at times, the game can get too grindy, there are perks and abilities that can help reduce the time taken to get whatever you need. So, if you like dinosaurs, definitely check out the game! And if you’re just starting out, definitely consider reading our beginner’s guide: Ark Survival Evolved Starter Guide For Beginners.
- Ark Survival Evolved has a large, open world that is filled with a wide range of different environments and biomes, each with its own unique flora and fauna.
- You can tame a T-Rex in Ark Survival Evolved which is incredibly cool.
- You have to feed whatever creature you tame or it will die, which adds to the immersion and realism of Ark Survival Evolved.
- Some players have reported various issues like frame drops while playing Ark Survival Evolved.
- The survival mechanics of Ark Survival Evolved can prove to be too complex for some players not familiar with the genre.
- There is no structure to the story or directions provided to you when you start playing Ark Survival Evolved.
No Man’s Sky
- Platforms: PC, Mac, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch
- Genre: Action-Adventure, Space Simulation
- Developers: Hello Games
If you haven’t heard of No Man’s Sky before, it is a sci-fi space exploration simulation with survival elements. Similar to Elite Dangerous, you’ll be given a spaceship that you can use to travel to many planets, build a base, and dive into the story that the game has to offer.
As it is a sandbox game with lots of terrains, mining, crafting, and building, you can almost think of it as Minecraft but in space! Everything is procedurally generated with different seeds, and as you explore, you’ll be able to improve your exo-suits to combat newer and greater threats!
You guessed it, that’s where the grindy parts of No Man’s Sky start to show. Grinding for resources to upgrade your tools and get better ships is almost inevitable. As you build your base on different planets, you’ll need to look for materials for the structures.
But grinding in No Man’s Sky feels laid back, and with new places being constantly generated, it doesn’t feel repetitive or dull! So, if you’re looking for the best grinding games on Steam that take place in space, No Man’s Sky is a great option!
- No Man’s Sky allows you to explore an almost infinite universe, with procedurally generated planets and celestial bodies to discover.
- The crafting and survival mechanics are deep as you can gather resources and craft a variety of items and equipment to survive on hostile planets.
- No Man’s Sky includes a multiplayer mode that allows you to explore the universe and interact with other players online.
- Inventory management can get incredibly frustrating.
- The UI in No Man’s Sky is not the best.
- There can be a few glitches when playing with other people online.
- The repetitive nature of some activities can cause the gameplay to feel tedious.
- Platforms: PC
- Genre: Online FPS
- Developers: Riot Games
Valorant is an interesting mixture of online FPS games like CS: GO and Overwatch. Taking inspiration from both and with its unique stylized graphics, the game has become quite popular, with many best valorant players streaming it on Twitch for hours!
But what makes it stand out from the typical capture-the-flag-type shooters is the unique abilities that each “Agent” has. From Phoenix’s fireballs to Viper’s toxic gas, you can come up with all sorts of strategies to take down your enemies.
But if you want all these interesting agents, you’re going to have to grind for them! The game follows a typical battle pass system that awards you with loot as you rank up. To level up, you have to complete weekly or daily challenges.
- The gameplay in Valorant is incredibly fun and addictive, it keeps you coming back to play more.
- Valorant has very strong dev support, as they release frequent updates and patches to address player feedback and balance issues.
- Valorant’s ranked system allows you to test your skills against other players of a similar skill level, this system is well-balanced, ensuring that the matches are fair and competitive.
- Valorant boasts impressive graphics and sound design, which helps to immerse you in the matches.
- Valorant has a strong presence in the eSports scene, with organized tournaments and events at a professional level that have huge prize pools.
- Valorant can be a bit too competitive for some players looking for a more casual experience.
- There is a steep learning curve in Valorant, which can turn away some players that cannot spend too much time learning the game.
- Some players find the maps in Valorant to be too small.
- Platforms: PC, Mac, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, Xbox One, Stadia
- Genre: First-Person Action RPG Shooter
- Developer: Gearbox Software
Borderlands 3 is a game that doesn’t have a single dull moment. It is filled with humor, laughter, and intense action scenes as you shoot your way through hordes of enemies!
The game takes place on a planet called Pandora. The planet has a bunch of hidden resources in different parts. It is your job to stop all the bad guys/enemies from capturing those valuable resources! As the player, you’ll get the chance to play as a vault hunter and choose from one of the four classes at the start of the game. Each has a unique skill set and works well with specific weapons!
Speaking of weapons, the game is filled with numerous guns and tools that you can use in battle! Each has different powers, buffs, and elemental effects. But acquiring all these types of guns requires you to grind through levels and bosses.
But discovering the wacky guns in Borderlands is always a thrill, so there’s always something to look forward to whenever you’re grinding away. With up to 60 hours of content in the game, it provides a lot of content and fun grinding!
- Borderlands 3 concludes the story of the entire Borderlands series, as It brings together characters and plot threads from previous games and provides a satisfying conclusion to the overall story.
- The multiplayer is incredibly fun to play, especially the co-op mode with friends.
- The gameplay is fast-paced and action-packed.
- Some players might feel that each planet is not varied and does not have enough content.
- The endgame might not have enough of a challenge as some players might like.
- There are no real raid bosses in Borderlands 3.
Tom Clancy’s The Division
- Platforms: PC, PS4, Xbox One
- Genre: Action RPG
- Developers: Massive Entertainment
Ubisoft games are known to have a lot of grinding. Whether you’re trying to complete all those markers on the map to 100% of the game or just trying to get XP to level up, there is some form of grinding in almost every Ubisoft game!
And Tomy Clancy’s The Division is no different. It is an online-only action RPG set in a pandemic-like setting. With the majority of humanity wiped out, it is up to you to bring back order and protect what remains of the human civilization!
The game features some epic gunfights and amazing graphics to keep you hooked on your screens! Similar to many looter shooters, you can get better gear as you progress through the game and level up your character.
The Division tries to make its grinding seem a little bit more unique and rewarding by introducing the “Blueprints” system. You can unlock these to craft better weapons, tools, or other types of gear. So, if you’re a fan of an apocalyptic-style setting and love shooters, definitely try out The Division!
- Tom Clancy’s The Division has a range of different missions and activities for you to undertake, including story missions, side missions, and various other challenges, keeping the game feeling fresh.
- The world of Tom Clancy’s The Division is enormous and incredibly detailed, with many different things for you to do.
- Tom Clancy’s The Division offers you a co-op mode that is incredibly fun and easy to access.
- The Dark Zone is a separate area of the world, where you can engage in PVP combat against other players, which adds an extra layer of excitement to your experience.
- The story of Tom Clancy’s The Division feels a bit underwhelming, as it sometimes fails to deliver certain plot points properly.
- Tom Clancy’s The Division’s character creation does not have many customization options that allow you to fully customize your character to your liking.
- You might experience occasional technical issues in Tom Clancy’s The Division, such as bugs, glitches, and server problems.
- Platforms: PC, Mac, Android, iOS
- Genre: Fantasy, MMORPG
- Developers: Jagex
Runescape is an MMORPG that has over 10,000 hours worth of content. From the 27 unique challenges to the hundreds of quests and encounters, there is much to do in the game!
The game is set in a fantasy world with monsters, magic, and different abilities. When you start off, you can choose and customize your character. As there is no exact story in the game, you can come up with your own goals and grind toward accomplishing them!
But it is the skills that make the game extremely grindy. The quickest that you can take a skill from level 1-99 can take up to 50-100 hours. But there are some other skills in the game that can actually take up to 500 hours to max them out, making it insanely grindy!
But these skills are different enough to make them worthwhile grinding and not just repeating the same thing to level up the skill. There are things like mining, fishing, woodcutting, and more. These skills actually go towards producing new resources that power the economy of the game that reflects real life quite accurately.
- RuneScape still has a very big player base, with over 200 million registered accounts, there is always a large community of players to interact with and participate in activities with.
- There is a wide variety of skills to choose from in RuneScape, such as combat, crafting, farming, or fishing. This allows you to tailor your gameplay experience to your interests.
- The developers at Jagex are constantly adding new content and updates to RuneScape, keeping it fresh and interesting for long-time players.
- You can choose to play RuneScape for free or pay for a subscription to unlock additional content and features.
- As RuneScape is an old game, the graphics are outdated and not particularly impressive, which can make it difficult to get immersed in the game world.
- RuneScape can get quite repetitive because you have to spend a lot of time grinding out the same tasks over and over again.
- There is not nearly as much content for the free-to-play players, compared to the paid subscription players.
- Platforms; PC, Mac, PS5, PS4, PS3, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii U, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch & 3DS, Stadia
- Genre: Sandbox, Action-Adventure Survival Game
- Developers: Re-Logic
Terraria is an action/adventure-style sandbox game that, although often compared to Minecraft, has its own unique elements. You spawn in a procedurally generated world with no purpose except survival. It is up to you to come up with objectives and play around in the giant 2D world!
You can venture out and look for monsters to slay with your best weapon, or you can pick up your pickaxe and shovel and go mining, looking for precious materials for crafting; the choice is yours! With a lot of weapons, gear, and bosses roaming in the world, you’ll find something at every corner of the game.
In fact, there is an entire order of bosses that you can face so that it feels like there’s a proper progression system in the game. If you want to know the progression and tips on how to beat the bosses, consider reading: Terraria Boss Order.
Besides just fighting and mining, you can also build your own base and make it according to your wishes. There are also NPCs that you can interact with or hire to help you out on your journey. You can even get pets in Terraria!
Grinding away to get better loot, newer materials, or just building a base are the highlights of the game. Whenever you’re grinding away in Terraria, it never feels like a waste as you’re working towards a goal that you can visibly see.
- Terraria offers a wide range of content, including exploration, building, and combat.
- It allows players to fully customize their character, including their appearance and abilities.
- Terraria is a fun and engaging game that offers a lot of depth for players who want to explore all of its features.
- Terraria lacks a good tutorial, which might be troublesome for some new players.
- The co-op mode of Terraria can be a bit frustrating to set up.
Mortal Kombat 11
- Platforms: PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch
- Genre: Fighting Game
- Developers: NetherRealm Studios, Shiver Entertainment, QLOC
You don’t quite expect typical fighting games to have any grindy elements except dying to the same boss over and over again. But Mortal Kombat 11 isn’t exactly typical and has a lot of great grinding that you can immerse yourself in!
Mortal Kombat is one of the most famous fighting game franchises known for its brutal and gory fighting mechanics. From chopping off your enemy’s heads to completely ripping them apart, you can seriously mess up your opponent!
The game lets you grind in multiple ways. There is a story mode that you can follow, which is basically just fighting different opponents but for a specific reason. As you progress through it, you’ll unlock new characters.
And then there is the online Kombat League. Each season tends to have its own new skins, brutalities, gear, and other seasonal rewards! On top of that, there are also the Tower modes where you can take on the AI for more rewards!
- Mortal Kombat 11 has a huge cast of guest characters that bring together fans of many games.
- Rollback netcode is utilized for online matches, allowing for long-distance matches with friends from all around the world.
- Mortal Kombat 11 includes online voice chat, which is extremely rare in fighting games.
- NRS has announced that they will no longer support Mortal Kombat 11.
- Some of the gaming features in Mortal Kombat 11 are really annoying.
- Platforms: PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Stadia
- Genre: Online-only, Third-person shooter, RPG,
- Developers: People Can Fly
Outriders is a relatively newer entry to grindy games out there. It has a similar approach to Destiny 2 in terms of being a looter shooting game. You will constantly be shooting enemies to loot them and level up eventually. Combine that with difficulty scaling, and you get yourself a grindy game!
As you start the game, you’ll get the option to choose from the four best classes that all branch out into their own playstyles. As you can’t change your class later, it’s wise to choose one by referring to an Outriders class tier list and picking one that meets your requirements!
But when you dive into the game, there are story and side missions that offer a bunch of rewards like gears and mods for your weapons. Besides that, you can work towards upgrading your class skills as well. As these skills can affect your gameplay a lot, many players have gone out of their way to create specific builds for different classes. There are Pyromancer Builds, Technomancer Builds, and a lot more!
The game has great gameplay, but one thing that many players noticed was that the enemies scale up quite a lot. That can make the game extremely difficult, and some enemies just end up being squishy, allowing them to take on hundreds of bullets before feeling anything.
- Outriders offers a wide range of customization options for your character, you can choose from different classes, each with their own unique abilities, as well as customize their appearance with various outfits, tattoos, and hairstyles.
- Outriders allow players to team up with friends or strangers online in co-op multiplayer mode which is incredibly fun.
- The gunplay in Outriders is great and can be very satisfying for some players.
- Some of the classes in Outriders can be unbalanced, which might be very frustrating for some players that are using the weaker classes.
- The story of Outriders is not very engaging and a lot of players find themselves getting uninterested in it after a while.
- The graphics of Outriders are not the best and there is barely any detail in the environment, making the visual experience incredibly mediocre.
Monster Hunter World
- Platforms: PC, PS4, Xbox One
- Genre: Fantasy action RPG
- Developers: Capcom
If you love fantasy settings and hunting games, then Monster Hunter World is the game for you! It is an action RPG game that tasks you to chase down and hunt monsters that roam around the world.
You get rewarded with powerful loot and weapons that help you progress through the game and let you take on even more difficult monsters. Monster Hunter Rise is often compared to games such as Witcher 3 or Horizon Forbidden West due to the monster aspect of gameplay.
There isn’t exactly a leveling system in the game. So, most of the grinding comes from gathering loot and defeating enemies. So, if you want a break from the typical XP farming, consider checking out Monster Hunter World!
In fact, Monster Hunter World is part of an entire Monster Hunter Series. The latest edition of the series is Monster Hunter Rise, which has similar grinding aspects. But on top of that, there are newer enemies and items that you can grind towards!
- The slinger weapon is an incredibly innovative and new gameplay weapon introduced in Monster Hunter World that allows you to efficiently execute multiple things.
- The monsters you hunt are varied and some of them pose a great challenge, which can be very rewarding to overcome.
- Monster Hunter World has a very robust weapon upgrading system that gives you a strong sense of progression.
- The narrative is very engaging.
- The graphics and visuals might feel underwhelming for some players.
- The online multiplayer is not implemented very well in Monster Hunter World and has many issues along with being very inconvenient.
- There is no local multiplayer mode.
Diablo 3/Diablo Immortal
The Diablo series is not new to the concept of grinding. Many of their games are known to have a lot of grindy elements ranging from level systems, end-game level systems, dungeons, and a lot more. And that is the same case with Diablo 3 and the latest Diablo game, Diablo Immortal.
Diablo 3 has great dungeons, and as it is available on many platforms, it is accessible to almost every player out there. In the hack-and-slash game, you make your way through hordes of denizens of Hell and grind to gather as much loot along the way.
The game offers seven classes to choose from and has a great story as well. As you’re constantly facing newer and harder enemies, grinding always feels purposeful and fresh.
And then we have the latest entry, Diablo Immortal. The game certainly has its own aspects of grinding. From joining dark clans to legendary item farming, the game is filled with content. It even has its unique Paragon levels system to balance out the grinding.
However, it is worth noting that a lot of the grinding in Diablo Immortal feels meaningless due to how the many pay-to-win possibilities in the game. So, if you’re looking for the best Diablo game with grinding, then Diablo 3 might be better than Diablo Immortal for those who don’t want to spend anything on the game.
But if you’re the type of player who doesn’t mind spending a bunch of bucks on a free-to-play game, then Diablo Immortal definitely has some interesting elements that are worth checking out!
Pros of Diablo 3:
- You can choose from seven different classes in Diablo 3, each with its own unique skills and abilities.
- The gameplay of Diablo 3 is very fun and can be incredibly satisfying for some players.
- There are a lot of customization options for each class to make it as distinct and close to your playstyle as possible.
- Diablo 3 offers a lot of loot that feels almost endless.
Cons of Diablo 3:
- Diablo 3 might be a turn-off for some players that do not enjoy loot-based games.
- The online servers are not the best in Diablo 3, as a lot of the players have reported disconnections and lag while playing online.
- Diablo 3’s endgame content may not be satisfying for some players, as a lot of it revolves around collecting loot after reaching the max level.
- The graphics of Diablo 3 feel very average.
Pros of Diablo Immortal:
- Diablo Immortal is a mobile game, which means it can be played on the go, making it convenient for players who are always on the move.
- Diablo Immortal boasts stunning graphics that provide players with a visually immersive experience.
- The gameplay in Diablo Immortal is smooth and responsive, making the game more enjoyable and helping players stay focused on the action.
- Diablo Immortal features an exciting story that keeps you engaged and invested in the game.
Cons of Diablo Immortal:
- The controls of the mobile version of Diablo Immortal may not be as precise as those on a PC.
- Diablo Immortal has many pay-to-win elements, as you can buy strong characters with real money.
- The UI in Diablo Immortal looks very ugly and cluttered, which can sometimes confuse or turn away players.
Path of Exile
- Platforms: PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One
- Genre: Action RPG
- Developers: Grinding Gear Games
Path of Exile is a game that some consider being similar to the Diablo series in terms of grinding. It is an action RPG with a very complex skill system at its core. In fact, if you don’t grind to improve your skills, then there’s almost nothing that you can do in the game!
There are up to 1300 different unique passive skills and powerful gems that you can attach to your weapon, so when you’re grinding away, you’ll always have something new to find. As you level up and explore the world, you’ll encounter newer challenges that’ll let you unlock the various items in the game.
Like many RPGs, you can choose your own class at the start of the game. They all have their own abilities and playstyles that you can improve by leveling up. And when things start getting dull, you can unlock a second class later in the game.
Grinding to get orbs doesn’t feel totally useless as there are upgrades, skins, and items that you can buy (or sell) using the in-game currencies and vendors.
But what’s more impressive is the game’s ability to retain users. Even after years, it brings out new seasonal league updates. Because of these updates, there is always something new to grind towards, making it one of the best grinding games on PS4 and other platforms.
- Path of Exile is fully free to play.
- Path of Exile offers a high replay value thanks to various character classes, a rich skill tree, and a diverse spectrum of endgame content.
- Path of Exile’s music is fantastic and keeps you engrossed in the game.
- The art in Path of Exile is stunning.
- Path of Exile requires you to participate in numerous tiresome activities in order to progress.
- Some of the maps in Path of Exile may appear too identical to one another.
- Path of Exile’s camera can be extremely problematic at times, interfering with your gameplay experience.
- Platforms: PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, iOS, Android
- Genre: Battle-Royale
- Developers: Respawn Entertainment
Up next in our list of best grinding games of 2023, we have Apex Legends! It is a battle royale game that caught a lot of attention even during the surplus of the genre. It stands out from Fortnite and PUBG due to its “legends” system and the unique combat mechanics that it provides.
The map is filled with 60 total players that fight to become the ultimate survivor. You can take part in solos, duos, or trio mode and fight all other players in intense gun battles using high-tech weapons and explosives.
Before each battle, you can choose from various legends that provide their own set of abilities and playstyles. Besides just using guns to fight, you can use each legend’s techniques to track down enemies, teleport in and out of battle, unleash deadly traps, and a lot more, depending on your character!
To progress in the battle pass, you get weekly missions. As you complete them, you get to move up ranks from the pass. These passes change after a certain time period, after which a new pass gets introduced. So, in a sense, these challenges are time-sensitive.
- Apex Legends boasts enjoyable gunplay and a wide range of weapons to pick from.
- Apex Legends’ ping mechanism is fantastic.
- Apex Legends is available to everyone because it is free to play.
- There is a strong emphasis on team play, which requires you to think tactically as a group.
- Skin microtransactions are extremely pricey.
- Platforms: PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Stadia
- Genre: Sci-fi FPS, MMORPG, RPG
- Developers: Bungie
Destiny 2 is the ultimate looter-shooter game and is widely known for its grindy elements. In fact, it can be considered one of the original shooters that made the idea of grinding in shooting games popular!
The game mixes a lot of genres together; it acts as an MMORPG, RPG, and an FPS all at the same time. There is so much going on in the game that it’s near impossible to run out of content. The game offers both PvP and PvE elements, although many players tend to lean toward the PvE aspects.
It is essentially an online playground for those that love to grind shooters. With a bunch of missions and raids to help you progress, you can constantly test out your skills and improve them by acquiring better loot. Players spend hours grinding away to find the perfect piece of gear to improve their characters.
On top of that, the developers are determined to keep the game fresh! They constantly add new content, such as the Festival of The Lost Secret Triumph and the recent addition of the Season of the Haunted update.
Furthermore, the sheer number of loadouts in the game is insane. And there are many ways of grinding toward acquiring them. The game provides weekly events such as Trials of Osiris that can help you get items through the trial rewards. If you love shooting games and grinding, then Destiny 2 is a must-play!
- Destiny 2 offers an extensive selection of gameplay modes.
- The game has a dedicated and dynamic community of players.
- Destiny 2 presents a compelling storyline and rich lore to explore within its environment.
- The game’s development team provides excellent support.
- Destiny 2 can become monotonous and tedious at times due to repetition and grinding.
- At times, the PVP can be unbalanced, impacting the overall experience.
- Platforms: PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One
- Genre: Action RPG
- Developers: FromSoftware
If you’re a fan of FromSoftware games, then Elden Ring needs no introduction. It is a game that dominated the charts upon its release and was and is still on everyone’s mind!
It is a fantasy action RPG that takes you, a Tarnished, on a journey to repair the Elden Ring to become the Elden Lord of the Lands Between. On this journey, you get to explore a vast open world with a lot of mysteries, loots, and enemies – lots of enemies.
Although still quite difficult, Elden Ring is slightly more welcoming to newer players into the genre and provides a lot of possibilities in reducing the difficulty of the game. From going out and collecting Golden Seeds to help increase your health to finding the best weapons to deal more damage, you can do a lot to make your playthrough easier.
Furthermore, even progressing through the main story can feel grindy as you’ll constantly die to main bosses such as Rennala or Radahn. It’ll take countless tries to kill them and move on to the next foe, finally.
But that’s the thing about grinding away at bosses in Elden Ring. It doesn’t feel useless or tedious. Each death is a lesson, and there’s something that is to be learned. And when you understand how to defeat a boss or come up with a strategy that works for you, conquering the challenge feels satisfying!
So, if you’re ready to take on extremely difficult bosses and test out your true skills in combat, then dive into the world of Elden Ring.
- Elden Ring has a huge open world.
- Some of the areas are particularly beautiful.
- The characters created by Elden Ring are fantastic and unforgettable.
- The writing is excellent and does a fantastic job of keeping you interested in the story.
- The combat system in Elden Ring is distinct and a lot of fun.
- AI occasionally exhibits a certain level of stupidity.
- Some bosses can be repetitive.
- Platforms: PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Nintendo Switch
- Genre: Third-person shooter MMORPG
- Developers: Digital Extremes
Warframe was created by an indie studio that wasn’t that widely known. But the success of Warframe has put them in the spotlight, and for a good reason too. Warframe is an amazing action RPG game set in a futuristic environment where you play as an ancient race of warriors.
These warriors can take control of a biochemical armor-like character known as “Warframes” to take down alien races that threaten the warriors. The Warframes are capable of wielding different weapons and using acrobat abilities to traverse the arena.
The gameplay is revolved around exploring different areas of ships, killing enemies, and then getting credits as a reward. Then you can use these credits to buy more epic gear and become even stronger. There is a lot of gear like weapons and secondary weapons that you can grind to get!
In fact, you can spend 100s of hours just grinding to unlock the different items in the game. And with fresh updates from the developers, there’s always something new to look forward to. So, if you’re looking for the best grinding games on Switch and other platforms, Warframe is a good option!
- Warframe’s vast and immersive lore will do a great job of drawing you into its world.
- The character customization options are amazing and they allow you to create your own personalized Warframe.
- The dev support is very strong in Warframe as they release new content and updates that keep the game fresh.
- The gameplay in Warframe is incredibly exciting and face-paced, with a learning curve that keeps you engaged.
- The soundtrack is not the best and lacks variety with the same soundtrack repeated several times.
- Warframe’s UI is incredibly confusing and it can deter new players.
- Warframe has many expensive microtransactions that can limit customization options.
World of Warcraft
- Platforms: PC, Mac
- Genre: MMORPG
- Developers: Blizzard Entertainment
World of Warcraft is essentially like the king of best grinding games on PC! It has been around since 2004 and still thrives due to its dedicated and diehard fanbase. On top of that, there are constantly new expansions and updates that keep the game alive.
At one point, it was one of the most popular MMOs in the world, and it’s still amazing to this day. The game is filled with rich lore and has its own Warcraft Universe. Grinding feels rewarding due to the various parts of the world that you get to unlock and explore as a result.
Just reaching the max level of 120 can take a good amount of time. And even when you reach the max level, you will have other items that you can grind for, such as materials, mounts, armor, weapons, raids, and a lot more!
- World of Warcraft has a strong guild system, which allows you to join forces and work together with other players to achieve your goals.
- World of Warcraft has a massive player base, with millions of players from all around the world allowing for different experiences and making the game more enjoyable for everyone.
- You can fully immerse yourself in the fantasy world of Azeroth and feel like you are a part of the story of World of Warcraft.
- The dungeon and raid design in World of Warcraft is one of the best in any MMORPG game.
- The combat system in WoW is dynamic and incredibly satisfying, it gets even more fun when you find the class that best suits your play style.
- The RNG (Random Number Generator) rate in World of Warcraft is incredibly unforgiving and it can get very frustrating for some players.
- The PvP can be incredibly unbalanced and lead to constant frustration.
- World of Warcraft’s crafting system is not designed very well and most of the time it is entirely ignored by some players.
- Platforms: PC, PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch & 3DS, Wii U, Android, iOS,
- Genre: Sandbox, Action Adventure
- Developers: Mojang Studios
The final game on the list is Minecraft. This sandbox game was almost everyone’s childhood and gained a lot of popularity when many popular creators on YouTube played it. Minecraft is an open-world survival game that lets you explore your inner creativity and build whatever you want!
The game does have a sort of progression path that you can take to defeat the Ender Dragon or to fight against other bosses such as the Wither. But besides that, it’s really up to you to come up with your own objectives and do as you, please.
You can build houses, villages, cities, ships, floating islands, and anything else that comes to your mind can be built in Minecraft! But of course, if you want to build, you will need to get items and materials.
For that, you need to grind away and chop down trees, mine to get cobblestone, or explore to find new biomes for better building materials!
But the grinding in Minecraft is peaceful, especially when accompanied by the beautiful music of the game. You can pretty much turn off your brain while collecting materials and just relax. And then, when you build something, you can visually see the reward of all your grinding.
So, if you want to explore your inner creativity or just play online with a bunch of friends in a peaceful sandbox game, then hop on Minecraft!
- Minecraft is massive and has been active for over 10 years, it still retains one of the biggest player bases in all of gaming history.
- Minecraft can be used as a learning tool, giving you a platform for creative expression and problem-solving.
- There is an endless amount of online servers in Minecraft that allow you to play with anyone across the world.
- Minecraft has very strong dev support, with consistent updates that keep you engaged.
- There is cross-platform support in Minecraft that allows you to play with anyone across the world, regardless of the platform they are on.
- It can be extremely difficult to play with your friends in a survival world without having to pay money for a server or go through very tedious processes.
- Minecraft might not appeal to a lot of players as it is a building game with not much else to it.
With that, we wrap up our list of the best grinding games on all platforms. We discussed games that are great for mobile players, PC players, and console players. There are games in almost every genre that have grindy aspects to them. So, in the end, it depends on what kind of game that you’re looking for!
Was this article helpful?
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍